Categories
Nanticoke

Nanticoke Minor League baseball team falls to Lower Sussex

The Nanticoke Minor League all-star baseball team led Lower Sussex 9-4 into the fourth inning of the District III tournament but fell by a score of 16-10 in the game played in Seaford. Lower Sussex utilized 15 total walks in the game to overtake Nanticoke for the win.

Nanticoke’s James Brown, Jr. opened the game when he was hit on the leg by Lower Sussex pitcher Brian Seymour. Brown’s base stealing skills moved him up to third base and he later came home on a passed ball. Nanticoke scored a second run on a Ryan Downs’ RBI infield ground out. Nanticoke scored the third run on an error and then an

Shown (l to r) is the Nanticoke Minor League all-star baseball Team: first row- Ian Castro Mender, Max Lathbury, Lincoln Condos, Carter Lankford, Cade McAvoy; second row: Ryan Downs, James Brown, Jr, Ace Maxwell, Asher Maxwell, Deklan Lankford, Brady Hamilton; coach Jonah Lathbury, manager Tyler Massey, and coach Chris McAvoy.

other passed ball scored the fourth run when Deklan Lankford was safe at home.

Starting pitcher for Nanticoke, Max Lathbury walked a batter, struck out two, and a ground ball to second baseman Ian Castro Mendura accounted for the three outs in the inning.

Nanticoke added runs in the top of the third inning beginning with a Lincoln Condos single who moved up to third base on a steal and fielder’s choice. Catcher Ryan Downs hit into a ground ball out but collected an RBI for a 5-0 score.

Lower Sussex scored in the bottom of third inning with a walk, single to right field, and a single that loaded the bases. An error and a passed ball scored a total of three runs before Lathbury ended the inning on a ground ball out back to the mound.

Nanticoke came back…

Continue reading

Categories
Nanticoke

A mother’s plea to find her missing son

https://img.particlenews.com/image.php?url=0R26Rv_12aAP0Nn00

LUZERNE COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU)— A 17-year-old has been missing from Wilkes-Barre since July 3.

And his mother is desperate to find out what happened to him.

“That’s my first born, he’s the reason I learned to be a mom,” said Jazzmen Owens, mother, Nanticoke.

Owens, a mother of four doing her best to provide for her children.

Search for missing 37-year-old man

Last week, her oldest son, Mark Ward, didn’t answer his phone after she dropped him off at Kirby Park in Wilkes-Barre.

Owens then went searching for Mark, following the phone’s location.

“I then got in the car and I went to the location that the phone was sending me. As I was crossing the bridge, it told me I arrived to the location, and then I drove back and put on walking distance and his phone was on the bridge cracked into pieces,” recalled Owens.

Owens contacted the police, and they are actively searching for him, but a close family friend says she still can’t believe what happened.

“Honestly, I cried because it’s just very sad to know that like you know, you see stuff like this on the news and in other places, but for it to happen to someone who’s close to you and who you’re close with, it’s like I couldn’t even imagine what his mother’s going through,” expressed Giavanna Twyman, family friend, Wilkes-Barre.

As more time passes without updates, Owens is holding on to her motherhood to keep her steady.

“I haven’t always been the best in life, I’ve been through so much, but one thing I stand on is being a mom. I feel like I was put here to be a mom,” said Owens.

Owens says she will be putting up posters around the community and urges people to help if they can.

“Please…

Continue reading

Categories
Nanticoke

LITTLE LEAGUE SOFTBALL: St. Mary’s sends Carbino Club/Archbald into elimination bracket

NANTICOKE – One inning. That’s all it took to send Carbino Club/Archbald into the elimination round of the Pennsylvania State Major Softball Tournament.

St. Mary’s scored six runs in the fifth inning, and pitcher Gia Straub held the Section 5 champs to just three hits en route to a 7-3 win Thursday night at the Nanticoke Little League field.

It was Carbino Club/Archbald’s first loss in the tournament, and also, the first setback of the 2025 all-star season.

“It was just one bad inning,” Carbino Club/Archbald coach Sumer Ploskonka said. “We made some mistakes, and we just didn’t play up to our standards today. We are still in it, and we just have to make some little adjustments here and there.”

St. Mary’s advances to the winner’s bracket final Saturday to face off with Caln Township, while Carbino Club/Archbald starts the climb back Friday with a 4 p.m. matchup with District 9 champ Bullskin Township.

“That was the goal for us. We wanted to play in the 7 p.m. game today, and play in the 7 p.m. game on Saturday,” St. Mary’s coach Doug Straub said. I really like our ballclub. We are working really hard, and I think it’s going to be a really good one with Caln on Saturday. Valley View is a really solid team. We struggled with their first pitcher (Alana Lophovsky). She threw well for them.”

Straub stood in right field as his St. Mary’s squad danced and celebrated the win.

He took a quick glance at the scoreboard, and saw the red six glaring under the fifth inning. It was one day ago where St. Mary’s put a six-spot on the scoreboard in the fourth inning to push past Stroudsburg to open up the state tournament.

Thursday, they did it once again.

“I would…

Continue reading

Categories
Nanticoke

Digital Newspaper & Magazine Subscriptions

PressReader.com – Digital Newspaper & Magazine Subscriptions Continue reading

Categories
Nanticoke

Positivity prevails for Lewes 8-10 softball all-stars

Positivity prevails for Lewes 8-10 softball all-stars | Cape Gazette ]]]]]]>]]]]>]]> ]]]]]]>]]]]>]]> ]]]]]]>]]]]>]]> ]]]]]]>]]]]>]]>

Advertisement

]]]]]]>]]]]>]]> ]]]]]]>]]]]>]]>

Continue reading

Categories
Nanticoke

Lewes 8-10 All-Stars defeat Nanticoke, Woodbridge

Lewes 8-10 All-Stars defeat Nanticoke, Woodbridge | Cape Gazette ]]]]]]>]]]]>]]> ]]]]]]>]]]]>]]> ]]]]]]>]]]]>]]> ]]]]]]>]]]]>]]>

Advertisement

]]]]]]>]]]]>]]> ]]]]]]>]]]]>]]>

Continue reading

Categories
Nanticoke

Peoples Security bank in Nanticoke moving this month

NANTICOKE — The Nanticoke branch of Peoples Security Bank & Trust is moving — down the street.

Peoples Security Bank & Trust at 194 S. Market St. near Patriot Square is moving to a building strip in the downtown at 75 N. Market St., the site of the former Citizens Bank.

The bank will be located across the street from the Nanticoke post office and a proposed AutoZone store and near the Weis supermarket.

“It’s a more convenient location, it’s close to the grocery store and post office and there’s better parking and drive through,” said Mike Cummings, senior vice president and director of marketing for Peoples Security Bank & Trust.

The bank is closing its current location on July 18 and is planning a grand opening at its new location on July 21. A ribbon-cutting celebration will be held July 29.

Peoples Security Bank & Trust is moving its Nanticoke branch from near Patriot Square, pictured, to the former Citizens Bank location at 75 N. Market St., near the Weis supermarket. (Bob Kalinowski / Staff Photographer)Peoples Security Bank & Trust is moving its Nanticoke branch from near Patriot Square, pictured, to the former Citizens Bank location at 75 N. Market St., near the Weis supermarket. (Bob Kalinowski / Staff Photographer)

It’s not immediately clear what will happen to the historic building at 194 S. Market St., which opened as Miners Trust Co. in 1924 and was a FNCB Bank for many years before FNCB and Peoples Security Bank & Trust merged last year.

When the bank opened in 1924, it was advertised as “Nanticoke’s Biggest Day.”

Property records list First National Community Bank, which later rebranded as FNCB Bank, as the owner of the building.

The building strip the bank is moving into…

Continue reading

Categories
Nanticoke

Maryland’s Board of Public Works approves $4.7 million for park improvements, land conservation in nine counties

ANNAPOLIS, MD—The Maryland Board of Public Works has approved more than $4.7 million in grants for park improvements and land conservation across nine counties, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources has announced.

The funding, drawn from the state’s Program Open Space – Local, Local Parks and Playgrounds Infrastructure, and Rural Legacy programs, will benefit projects in Allegany, Baltimore, Caroline, Carroll, Cecil, Dorchester, Frederick, Prince George’s, and Washington counties.

]]>

Approximately $2.2 million from Program Open Space – Local will support nine projects. Baltimore County is slated to receive over $1.2 million for upgrades at Sparks Park and Catonsville Community Park, including new pickleball courts at both locations. Sparks Park will also see new playground equipment, while Catonsville Community Park will undergo paved trail repairs.

Frederick County will receive $350,000 to construct a community center, shelters, trails, parking lot, and roads at Othello Regional Park. Prince George’s County is set to acquire 9 acres of woodland adjacent to Huntington Park North in Bowie for $360,000, which will expand the park with a new natural surface trail loop.

An additional $100,000 from the Local Parks and Playgrounds Infrastructure Program was approved for Caroline County to purchase and install fencing for two baseball fields at Sharp Road Park.

Nearly $2.4 million in Rural Legacy funding was also approved for local sponsors to acquire conservation easements on four properties, totaling 760 acres, aimed at preserving agricultural and forested lands.

These conservation efforts include:

  • Caroline County: The Eastern Shore Land Conservancy will acquire a 104-acre easement in the Agricultural Security Corridor – Tuckahoe Rural Legacy Area, protecting forested buffer along Tuckahoe Creek and scenic views.
  • Cecil County: The Cecil County Land Trust will conserve 45 acres of agricultural and…

Continue reading

Categories
Nanticoke

County council ranking firms for Nanticoke bridge work in confidential process

Luzerne County Council is going to rank three firms interviewed last week for work on the closed Nanticoke/West Nanticoke Bridge, and “information must remain confidential” until PennDOT’s central office approves, County Manager Romilda Crocamo said Wednesday in an update on the ongoing project.

Members of county council and the county administration, along with representatives from the PennDOT District 4 office, attended closed-door interviews last Thursday, Crocamo said.

“If any of the information presented is made public, the entire process for selecting a design firm must start at the beginning,” Crocamo said.

The county is going through PennDOT’s process to select an engineering firm to determine how to repair, reconstruct or replace the bridge so the county can receive $10 million in federal project funding through the state Transportation Improvement Program.

PennDOT regulations required the closed-door interviews, Council Chairman John Lombardo said last week. Five engineering firms submitted statements of interest to get the job in March, and the county administration selected the top three for council to interview.

On March 20, Crocamo closed the bridge over the Susquehanna River shortly after engineers conducting a scheduled routine bridge inspection determined advanced deterioration and section loss of primary, load-carrying components were critical deficiencies.

The county-owned bridge, built in 1914, links Nanticoke City to the West Nanticoke section of Plymouth Twp. The distance between the West Nanticoke/West Nanticoke Bridge and the next-closest bridge over the river, the Route 29 bridge connecting Hanover Twp. and Plymouth Twp., is more than 1 mile.

The vehicular weight limit on the bridge was reduced to 5 tons last May. That decision allowed cars and most passenger vehicles to cross the bridge, but emergency vehicles such as fire trucks could not.

Last August, the county put the bridge project into the PennDOT’s Engineering and Construction Management System, known…

Continue reading

Categories
Nanticoke

Councillor Brad Adams seeks to repeal MZO vote after summer break

Councillor Brad Adams seeks to repeal MZO vote after summer break | The Haldimand Press Web-Ad-copyThe Haldimand Press

Locally owned, community driven. Since 1868.

The Haldimand Press

6 Parkview Rd. Hagersville, ON, N0A 1H0

Get notified when the latest news is posted.

The Haldimand Press

The Haldimand Press © Copyright 2018 – 2025, All Rights Reserved

The Haldimand Press

Get notified when the latest news is posted.


Continue reading