Categories
Unami

Importance of sound, inclusive elections in Iraq ‘cannot be overstated’

Jeanine Plasschaert, Special Representative and Head of the UN Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) said clashes erupted in the weeks following the vote, with demonstrations and sit-ins escalating into violence and casualties reported.

On 7 November, an assassination attempt was made on Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi when an exploding drone entered his residence in Baghdad’s Green Zone.

Demands and grievances

Describing Iraq’s current outlook as “precarious”, the Special Representative recalled that the October elections themselves emerged from an unprecedented wave of country-wide demonstrations in 2019.

Marked by violence, excessive use of force, abductions and targeted killings, the protests left hundreds dead and thousands injuried.

The country’s current fragile peace also comes on the heels of decades of conflict, which prevented ordinary civilians from making their voices heard.

“A lack of political, economic and social prospects made many, many Iraqis take to the streets”, said Ms. Plasschaert. “Their demands and grievances remain as relevant as ever”.

‘Much to be proud of’

While turnout for the recently concluded election was just 41 per cent, the vote was generally peaceful and well-run. 

“There is much for Iraqis to be proud of in this election,” said the Special Representative.

On 22 October, the Security Council issued a statement congratulating the people and Government of Iraq on the smooth conduct of a “technically sound election” and deploring related threats of violence.

UNAMI had provided technical assistance to the electoral process and warned against the threats of violence and misinformation.

There…

Continue reading

Categories
Unami

Chinese envoy calls on Iraqi factions to work toward gov’t formation

UNITED NATIONS, Nov. 23 (Xinhua) — A Chinese envoy on Tuesday called on all Iraqi factions to address their disputes over last month’s elections through legal means and work toward the formation of a new government.

China applauses Iraq’s successful holding of parliamentary elections last month and appreciates the great efforts made by the Iraqi government and people and fully recognizes the electoral support provided by the UN Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), said Geng Shuang, China’s deputy permanent representative to the United Nations.

China condemns the Nov. 7 attack on the Iraqi prime minister’s residence and expresses concern over the recent threats of violence against Iraq’s Independent High Electoral Commission and UNAMI, he told the Security Council.

“We hope that all parties in Iraq will stay calm and exercise restraint, express their demands and resolve their differences and disputes through peaceful means within the framework of the Constitution and laws,” said Geng. “China encourages all factions in Iraq to seize the opportunity presented by the elections to build consensus, strengthen solidarity, and form a new government in an orderly manner so as to lay a solid political foundation for further progress in nation-building and achieving development and prosperity.”

The security situation in Iraq remains grave with frequent attacks launched by the remnants of the Islamic State. The international community should sustain its unwavering support for Iraq’s counter-terrorism efforts. The countries concerned should shoulder their responsibilities by facilitating the early identification and repatriation of foreign terrorist fighters and their families in Iraq, he said.

On Nov. 4, Iraq’s UN ambassador wrote to the president of the Security Council, listing Turkey’s alleged violations of Iraqi territory and air space during the period from June to September this year. The UN secretary-general’s report on Iraq also documented Iraqi civilian casualties from airstrikes…

Continue reading

Categories
Unami

UN envoy to Security Council: No evidence of fraud in Iraqi election

ERBIL (Kurdistan 24) – The Special Representative for the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) said on Tuesday that there is no evidence of systematic fraud in last month’s legislative elections, despite multiple claims to the contrary by losing candidates and parties.

In her briefing to the UN Security Council in New York on developments following the elections, Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert explained that the voting process was “assessed as generally peaceful, well run, featuring significant technical and procedural improvements.”

In the early days of November, violent clashes broke out as supporters of Iran-aligned militias of the Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) attempted to storm Baghdad’s heavily fortified Green Zone as part of protests following the loss of parliament seats by political parties affiliated to the armed groups.

Read More: Iraqi leaders call for restraint as post-election violence escalates

Losing candidates from several parties also lodged formal claims of electoral fraud, but the head of Iraq’s Supreme Judicial Council later said that no clear proof of such allegations had been provided.

Read More: Iraqi judiciary says no proof of fraud in national election

“So far, and as stated by the Iraqi judiciary, there is no evidence of systemic fraud,” continued Plasschaert, adding that “any outstanding electoral concerns must only be dealt with through established legal channels, in accordance with the law.”

“Let me be clear: under no circumstances must terrorism, violence and/or any other unlawful acts be allowed to derail Iraq’s democratic process,” said the diplomat, urging “calm, restraint and dialogue” as “the only way forward,” to ease tensions across Iraq.

She pointed out, “Results will only be final after ratification by the Federal Supreme Court, which takes place once the Electoral Judicial Panel has adjudicated on those appeals brought before it,” and that, “Any unlawful attempts to prolong or…

Continue reading

Categories
Unami

UN envoy warns of precarious post-electoral situation in Iraq

Home » International » UN envoy warns of precarious post-electoral situation in Iraq

UN envoy warns of precarious post-electoral situation in Iraq

United Nations, Nov 24 (SocialNews.XYZ) Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert, the top UN envoy for Iraq, has warned against a precarious post-electoral situation in the country and called for early government formation.

“Plainly speaking, Iraq’s current outlook is precarious — to say the least. And in the absence of genuine reforms, the situation will not get any better. On the contrary (it will become),” she told the Security Council in a briefing via video link on Monday.

 

Last month’s elections were assessed as generally peaceful, well-run, featuring significant technical and procedural improvements, said Hennis-Plasschaert, the UN Secretary-General’s special representative and head of the UN Assistance Mission for Iraq.

She also noted that the elections were hard-earned as they emerged from an unprecedented wave of country-wide demonstrations in 2019 that resulted in hundreds of deaths and thousands of injuries.

After the October elections, parties rejecting the electoral results began demonstrations and sit-ins, which escalated on November 5, with casualties reported in Baghdad. In the early hours of November 7, an assassination attempt on Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi took place.

Hennis-Plasschaert said that she has witnessed a severe lack of trust between parties, between parties and institutions, between parties and authorities in recent weeks, in addition to the long-standing lack of public trust in both politicians and institutions.

“Now, that is not without risk, as mistrust often leads to escalation. Hence, our consistent calls for political dialogue to prevail. And again, any outstanding electoral concerns must only be dealt with through established legal channels, in accordance with the law. There is no point in using others as a scapegoat for electoral grievances,”…

Continue reading

Categories
Unami

Vietnam backs efforts to support Iraq in addressing challenges | World

Vietnam backs efforts to support Iraq in addressing challenges hinh anh 1A military roadblock near the green zone in Baghdad, Iraq. (Photo: AFP) New York (VNA) – Vietnam voiced support for provision of assistance to Iraq in addressing current challenges in the war-torn country during a UN Security Council meeting on November 23.

Discussing the situation in Iraq, the meeting was attended by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert, Special Representative of the Secretary-General and Head of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI).

Speaking at the event, Ambassador Dang Dinh Quy, Permanent Representative of Vietnam to the UN, congratulated the Government of Iraq and Iraq’s Independent High Electoral Commission (IHEC) on the well-managed elections held last month and highly spoke of the UNAMI and international organisations for backing Iraq and the IHEC in the polls.

He also reiterated his support for the UNAMI and UN staff operating in the country.

Quy expressed his concern over terrorist attacks in Iraq over the last few months, particularly a failed assassination attempt against the Iraqi Prime Minister, saying Vietnam strongly condemns all forms of terrorism. He called on all stakeholders to address concerns through existing legal processes and facilitate the promotion of national unity, and constructive and peaceful dialogue.

The diplomat also appreciated the diplomatic efforts made by the Government of Iraq and how it has demonstrated a strong role in regional peace and security issues, particularly the organisation of the Baghdad Conference for Cooperation and Partnership in August 2021.

He further welcomed cooperation between the Governments of Iraq and Kuwait in searching for Kuwaiti and citizens of third countries going missing in Iraq with the help from the UNAMI and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)./.

VNA

Continue reading

Categories
Unami

Log into Facebook | Facebook

Log into Facebook | Facebook1&&document.location.reload()})(true, “m_pixel_ratio”, “wd”, false);]]>

You must log in first.

facebook

Continue reading

Categories
Unami

Implementation of resolution 2576 (2021) – Report of the Secretary-General (S/2021/946) [EN/AR]

I. Introduction

1. The present report is submitted pursuant to Security Council resolution 2576 (2021), in which the Secretary-General was requested to report every three months on progress made towards fulfilling the mandate of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI). The report covers key developments relating to Iraq and provides an update on the activities of the United Nations in Iraq since my previous report of 3 August 2021 (S/2021/700) and the briefing to the Security Council by the Special Representative for Iraq and Head of UNAMI on 25 August 2021.

II. Summary of key political developments

A. Political situation

2. Parliamentary elections were held in Iraq on 10 October 2021. The elections were preceded by the dissolution of the Council of Representatives on 7 October. The elections began with a special voting day on 8 October for Iraqi security forces personnel, internally displaced persons, prisoners and detainees. On 11 October, the Independent High Electoral Commission announced partial preliminary results for all governorates. On 13 October, the results of 8,547 polling stations selected by lottery for manual counting, as provided in the electoral law, were added to the overall preliminary results. On 16 October, the Commission stated that it had completed the cross-checking and manual count of 3,681 polling stations which had been unable to send results electronically on election day owing to technical issues. The Commission also announced the full preliminary election results, with a total voter turnout of 43 per cent. In a statement, the Commission reiterated its impartiality and outlined the legal appeals process for disputes regarding the preliminary election results.

3. Following the announcement by the Independent High Electoral Commission of partial preliminary election results, the President of Iraq, Barham Salih, and the Prime Minister, Mustafa al-Kadhimi, issued social media statements on…

Continue reading

Categories
Unami

Security Council press statement on Secretary-General’s report on Iraq’s electoral process

SC/14701
15 NOVEMBER 2021

The following Security Council press statement was issued today by Council President Juan Ramón de la Fuente Ramírez (Mexico):

The members of the Security Council welcomed the Secretary-General’s report on Iraq’s electoral process and the assistance of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) to that process, pursuant to resolution 2576 (2021).

The members of the Security Council welcomed the positive assessment of the international UNAMI election monitors and congratulated the Government of Iraq and the Independent High Electoral Commission (IHEC) for conducting a technically well-managed and generally peaceful election on 10 October 2021.

The members of the Security Council also welcomed UNAMI and IHEC findings that partial manual recounts of polling stations have matched IHEC’s electronic results-transmission system.

The members of the Security Council commended the Iraqi people for their commitment to the electoral process in the face of dynamic security challenges.

They acknowledged the role of UNAMI in supporting the Government of Iraq’s and IHEC’s efforts to plan and execute genuinely free and fair Iraqi-led, Iraqi-owned elections. They welcomed the efforts of the Government of Iraq, IHEC and UNAMI to promote women’s political participation. The members of the Security Council commended UNAMI for demonstrating objectivity in its efforts to support Iraq throughout the election process.

The members of the Security Council reiterated their condemnation of both the 7 November 2021 assassination attempt against Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al‑Kadhimi and the persistent threats of violence against UNAMI, IHEC and others. The members of the Security Council deplored the use of violence to settle election-related grievances and urged all political parties to pursue legal and peaceful means to resolve these grievances. They condemned attempts to discredit the election.

The members of the Security Council encouraged all stakeholders to respect the legally defined process and to…

Continue reading

Categories
Unami

UN Security Council praises Iraq for ‘well-managed, peaceful’ election

LONDON: US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin III has ordered the military’s top commander for the Middle East to brief him on details of a 2019 airstrike that killed dozens of women and children in Syria, the Pentagon said.

Austin requested the briefing after allegations by the New York Times that top officers and civilian officials sought to conceal the casualties of the strike, said Pentagon spokesman John Kirby.

The 2019 strike, exposed by the NYT over the weekend, took place in the town of Baghuz, in Daesh’s last holdout before the end of its so-called caliphate.

A drone controller witnessed a jet drop a bomb on what the operator estimated to be 50 women and children, but the military has now admitted that 80 people were killed, dozens of them women and children.

“Who dropped that?” a confused analyst typed on a secure chat system being used by those monitoring the drone, two people who reviewed the chat log recalled. The NYT reported that another responded: “We just dropped on 50 women and children.”

Two more large bombs were dropped on the crowd, wiping out anyone who survived the initial blast.

It is one of the highest civilian casualty incidents in the international coalition’s war against Daesh, but it had never been publicly acknowledged by military officials.

Despite legal officers immediately reporting the incident up the chain of command, a thorough investigation into the bombing was never conducted.

Gen. Kenneth F. McKenzie Jr., head of US Central Command — which oversaw the air war in Syria — will “brief (Austin) more specifically on that particular airstrike” and its handling, the Pentagon said.

Kirby refused to comment on the strike in a press briefing. “I’m not going to relitigate a strike…

Continue reading

Categories
Unami

Hooters, Hoots Wings testing burgers?

Nov. 11, 2021

Hooters may be adding burgers to the menu, thanks to a relationship with Unami Burger, one of 40 culinary brands owned by C3, a company offering cuisine from 40 concepts via shared kitchens, delivery-only venues as well as brick-and-mortar concepts.

The chicken chain is testing the Unami Burger menu item at select restaurants and may eventually roll it out to more restaurants, including its fast casual concept, Hoots Wings, said Sal Melilli, CEO and president of HOA brands, the parent company of Hooters and Hoots

“Through a relationship with C3 we will aim to further build on the exceptional experience that Hooters is known for,” he said in a company press release. “In addition to offering the iconic and exciting Hooters in restaurant, our goal is to further empower both Hooters and Hoots Wings customers by offering quality made food that is created in a timely and convenient way for an on-the-go lifestyle.”

Any expansion of the C3 / HOA Brands relationship will also provide Hooters and Hoots Wings access to C3’s proprietary Go by Citizens app, which provides a one-stop-shop digital experience allowing consumers to order from multiple digital restaurant brands in one transaction. The brands expect the Go by Citizens market to eventually offer both popular menu items from Hooters and Hoots Wings, said Sam Nazarian, C3s founder and CEO.

“We are thrilled for this opportunity to further expand C3’s reach, coupling our growing food tech eco-system with HOA Brands’ global kitchen infrastructure,” he said in the release. “Through this potential new relationship, we expect to work together to further the digital kitchen revolution, offering in-demand, quality food offerings and innovative recipes to customers around the world.”

In addition to the potential expansion among Hooters and Hoots Wings locations, C3 products are available in over 800 digital brand locations in the…

Continue reading